You know that one body part you obsesse about constantly? For me, it’s my abs. I want them flat and I want them cut. I also know my lower back is weak and needs some serious training. So, when I saw the “Flat Abs Fast: The Core-Strengthening Workout” in my Fitness magazine, I thought I’d give it a try. The workout is great overall with some minor tweaks.
- I purchased two yoga blocks (already had the mat) for about $22 from my local sporting goods store.
- You need a non-carpet surface for this workout (particularly for the magic carpet ride). My gym is completely carpeted, so I’ve had to do it at home on the kitchen floor.
- The entire ab workout takes about 45 minutes if you are resting 45 seconds between sets (except for Tolasana, which I only rest 10 seconds between reps).
- I can’t keep one leg up for the entire 25 reps of the lean back. That definitely gives me something to work towards. But, until I can, I’ve switched legs halfway through the 25 reps.
- You still need to do cardio the other days.
- Doing this exercise alone will not help you sculpt great abs. You need to do something to lose that belly fat including eating healthy and losing weight.
- You still need to work the rest of your body. So, I’ve added traditional exercises for my body at the end of each workout. This does increase my workout time to about 50-60 minutes. I do this workout Monday, Wednesday, Friday, so my weight schedule at the end of each looks like this:
Monday: Flat Abs Fast, 3 sets of a chest, shoulder, and a back exercise
Wednesday: Flat Abs Fast, 3 sets of a bicep and tricep exercise
Friday: Flat Abs Fast, 3 sets of a quad, hamstring, and calve exercise
I’ve done this routine for about 3 weeks now. My abs are sore (which is a rarity for me, but it’s good!) and I definitely feel it working my lower back. I’ve also noticed that I can hold the Tolasana position much longer and that I’m much more aware of my posture in general.
Have I noticed my abs more chiseled? No, but that’s not the workout’s fault. It’s mine. I spent the last week gorging on the foods I love while visiting my home town. If I really want to get serious about no fat bump when I sit down, I’ll have to be much more strict about my diet. Until them, I’m cool with my flat cut look while standing, and, because of this workout, MUCH better core strength.