Here is a quick dinner recipe for hypoglycemics:
Turkey, pasta, and corn dinner
Makes 3 servings
- 1 Eckrich Turkey Smoked Sausage link (there are 2 per package, you can freeze the other one)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 cups whole grain rotini pasta (I like Healthy Harvest) (2 cups, when cooked, will equal 3 cups)
- 3 tbs. Philadelphia Italian Cheese & Herb Cooking Creme
- Fill a 2-quart pot 1/2 way with water and bring it to a boil. Put pasta in to cook.
- In the meantime, cut up the sausage into bite-size pieces and cook them in a frying pan (you’ll need a big pan since you’ll be adding everything else to this pan).
- When the sausage begins to brown, add the corn and mix with the sausage to cook the corn.
- When the pasta is ready, drain the pasta, mix it in with the turkey and corn, and remove it from the burner.
- If you are like me and usually cooking for one, divide the food into three equal parts and put two of them in two storage containers for future meals. The cooking creme tastes best when not re-heated, so I recommend re-heating these, then adding 1 tbs cooking creme to them. If you are cooking for three, however, go ahead and mix all three tbs. of cooking creme in the pasta.
- Serve with your favorite non-starch vegetable.
Because this recipe is so basic, you can vary the ingredients greatly. Just be careful of what you are adding and how it changes the calorie/carbohydrate/fat content! For example, using beef sausage will greatly increase your fat content. Adding or subtracting vegetables will change the carbohydrate content.
- Use a different type of pasta, like linguine, penne, etc. I always recommend whole grain, however, for the fiber and additional protein in it.
- Add or change the vegetable (see warning above).
- Use a different flavor cooking creme.
Turkey sausage (numbers adjusted because Eckrich says there are 3.5 servings per link and we are making it 3)
- Calories: 128
- Fat: 8g
- Carbohydrates: 5
- Protein: 7g
- Calories: 44
- Fat: .6g
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Protein: 2g
Whole Grain Rotini:
- Calories: 190
- Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 40g
- Protein: 8g
- Calories: 28
- Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 1g
- Protein: 1g
Total Nutrition Information:
- Calories: 390
- Fat: 12.6g
- Carbohydrates: 56g (I am for 45-60g for a meal)
- Protein: 18g