I always try to take something healthy to holiday parties so that I make sure and have something healthy to snack on. Above is a photo of the homemade pita chips and the homemade corn and black bean salsa I made for my friend’s party. Below are the recipes. Both of these recipes I adapted from a healthy eating seminar I attended at work.
Homemade pita chips (a healthy alternative to store bought)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Take a piece of pita bread and split it into two lengthwise as if creating a pita pocket.
- Using kitchen shears, cut the pita into wedges.
- Place wedges “rough” side up on a clean surface. Spray with water.
- Sprinkle with desired amount of salt.
- Transfer to a baking sheet and bake approximately 8-12 minutes depending on desired brown/crunchiness.
Corn and Black Bean Salsa
Combine the following ingredients:
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed.
- 1 can sweet corn, drained.
- 1 can diced tomatoes, drained.
- 1 small chopped onion (I prefer a sweet onion).
- 2 Tbs chopped cilantro (or an amount depending on your liking)
- 2 Tbs lime juice
- Salt, pepper, chili power, and cayenne pepper to taste.
Serve immediately or refrigerate (although I think it tastes best fresh).
Other valuable posts: