As a hypoglycemic and as a human being, you really should try to limit your consumption of processed foods. This is especially true if you are trying to lose weight. However, also as a hypoglycemic, you have to carry tons of food with you at all times, so some processed foods, such as protein bars, are inevitable.
One of my stand-by protein bars is the Clif Bar (I particularly like Chocolate Chip). Although they aren’t the tastiest of bars (that honor goes to Zone Perfect Cookie Dough bars), they are quite good and much healthier!
A couple of hints:
- These are easy to carry with you anywhere! If they get swashed, it doesn’t change the flavor, so pack them in your food bag and go!
- Because they are made with natural ingredients, the flavor can vary slightly throughout the year.
- There are a wide variety of flavors, but only certain flavors (mostly Chocolate Chip, Chocolate Brownie, and Crunchy Peanut Butter) are sold in value packs of 10 bars.
- They are usually found in the diabetic food area in stores. But, in some cases, I’ve found them in the candy section or fitness sections of grocery stores.
- These are more “substantial” than other protein bars, meaning they are higher in calories, protein, carbs, etc. So, take that into account when you use them. Sometimes, I only eat 1/2 of one at a time depending on my needs.
Other valuable posts: