Parties and pot-lucks can be especially difficult places for a hypoglycemic to eat healthy. Here is an easy, healthy appetizer that you can take with you to your next get-together.
Ingredients (makes about 20 bites):
- 1 cucumber
- 3/4 regular tub of your favorite hummus (I used red pepper for this to add some extra flavor)
- 2-3 baby carrots
*Note: I noticed that the hummus and carrot tend to dry-out fast, so I recommend making this very close to eating time or making sure you have a way to air-tight cover and refrigerate it.
*Prep tip: I recommend preparing these on something other than your final serving dish because, if you don’t, your serving dish will end up with paprika all over it.
- Slice the cucumber into individual slices (thick enough to hold the hummus)
- Top with hummus
- Sprinkle with paprika
- Cut a slice of the baby carrot and set it in the hummus
Make it Fancy:
- Using a peeler, peel a few sections around the cucumber prior to slicing it so that the pattern on the cucumber alternates between peeled sections and non-peeled sections to create a striped pattern on the cucumber.
- Load the hummus into a baker’s frosting bag and use a fancy tip to put the hummus on the cucumber.
- Use other vegetables or cuts (shredded carrots, for example) as the final garnish