I’m always on the hunt for recipes that are a) healthy b) easy to prepare and c) make me look like I’m a cooking rockstar. This Shakshuka (Eggs in Hell) recipe fits the bill! Not only that, but it freezes really well, making it easy for me to make quick dinners on nights when I’m pressed for time.
My notes on preparation:
- I cut the sugar in this recipe in half to make it more hypoglycemic friendly and because I prefer less of a sweet taste. This might also be because I’m using cane sugar.
- I factor 2 eggs per person.
- Whole grain sourdough bread is low on the glycemic index, so I serve the Eggs in Hell with this. I personally use one slice and load the eggs and tons of the sauce and eat it open-face.
- The Shakshuka recipe has a serving size of 6 eggs, but I found this is a huge waste of the sauce. I find I can get 10 eggs worth of sauce out of one recipe.
- I doubled the recipe in the photo above to have plenty to freeze.
- I free about 1 cup per 2 eggs, you can see in the second photo above how I portion and label them (which helps me remember what size and what pan to use).