Megan wrote me and wanted to know what protein sources there are out there other than nuts. I thought I had my hypo email forwarded, but apparently not. Sorry it took so long Megan! I’ll tackle your other question soon too!
If you are a reader and have something in particular you want tackled, please comment on a post and let me know! I’m always looking for post ideas and I want to make sure I’m writing on the hypoglycemic topics that are most relevant to you.
Sources of Protein Other than Nuts for Hypoglycemics (check your portion sizes)
- Lean meat
- Protein shakes (some have carbs too)
- Edamame (soy beans, dried, steamed, etc.)
- Whole wheat pasta (also carbs)
- Protein bars (also carbs)
- Beans (also carbs)
I’m guessing her question primarily stemmed from Megan wanting protein sources that were portable. So here’s that list:
- Protein powder (I put 1/2 a scoop in a Gladware Mini Round and go! When I’m ready for it, I add water, shake vigorously and drink. They don’t leak so it works great!)
- Cheese (can be unchilled for up to 2 hours and still safe to consume, I also often carry a mini cooler with me if possible)
- Organic Milk. I recently learned that this doesn’t have to be kept cold. Starbucks sells individual portions.
- Protein bars (I recommend Clif bars)
- Dried Edamame
Any other thoughts for Megan folks?