A couple of weeks ago, I went to brunch with a friend. We met around 10 am and I had a couple of breakfast tacos and some amazing french press coffee. I didn’t overeat, but was full.
I was meeting my boyfriend at his house for dinner and he eats early (5:30 ish). I wasn’t feeling hungry that afternoon, so all I at was a 100 calorie Greek yogurt.
At around 4:30 pm it hit me, a full-blown low blood sugar hypoglycemic attack. I didn’t know what was going at first until I realized I was getting very irritated with him on the phone for no reason, was light-headed and talking very fast.
So I ate something. But, since we were eating soon, I didn’t want to eat much. The problem was, I’d hit that point where I needed to eat and I had that “bottomless pit” hunger that I sometimes get when I get low. So I kept going back for more food, then more, instead of just eating something substantial the first time.
It took me a while to come out of it and I couldn’t drive to my boyfriend’s house for quite some time (since it’s basically the equivalent of driving drunk).
Mistakes (and lessons to learn):
- Not eating a decent lunch, especially after having such massive doses of caffeine
- When I did eat, not eating something substantial
- Worrying more about staying skinny/being able to eat with my boyfriend vs. taking care of my health (which actually resulted in me downing probably 700 calories)
- It was pretty scary. I felt horrible and felt a complete loss of control. I never want to feel like that again.
- I felt terrible, like I’d been very sick
- Didn’t get to spend as much time with my boyfriend
- Gained 3 lbs from serious overeating